WHAT DO GRAPHIC DESIGNERS DO?
After seeing the slideshow, can you tell me anything about graphic designers?
What do you think graphic designers would need to know to be good at their jobs?
Think back on the slideshow. What all did Graphic Designers create for the Olympics?
Graphic Designers create all kinds of things from billboards, to animations, to tickets for the movies.
One thing the Graphic Designers for the Olympics created was logos. Why do they need logos at the Olympics?
WHAT KINDS OF TECHNOLOGY DO GRAPHIC DESIGNERS USE?
Drawing tools allow graphic artists to design things. One type of drawing tool is Google Drawings. Click on the icon below to go to Google Drawings. Do not do anything until I tell you to.
Now you will learn how to create shapes and use colors in Google Drawings. I am going to show you how to add a feature to a google drawing. Watch very closely and listen very well to how I do it. When I tell you to, you will try this on your own.
We will go over these things.
HOW DO GRAPHIC DESIGNERS CREATE THEIR DESIGNS WITH TECHNOLOGY?
Now you are going to be graphic designers! You and your shoulder partner are now a graphic design firm. You work as partners to design all kinds of things for different companies and events. The 2022 Winter Olympics Committee is looking for a graphic design firm to design a logo for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. You both really want to get this job. The committee gave a list of requirements that they are looking for in a logo. Together with your partner, you are going to create a logo that meets the requirements and submit it to the committee. The firm with the best logo will win the job and be the Official 2022 Olympics Graphic Designers .
Kindergarten - 2nd Grade Classes
- One person in each group the 1 tag and the other person the 2 tag. When I say Designer 1, the person with the 1 will do the job and when you say Designer 2, the person with the 2 will do the job.
- You need to talk about all your decisions and help each other. It is important not to argue. The committee doesn’t want to hire a firm whose partners do not work together.
- Designer 1: Open up a new Google Drawing.
- Designer 2: Type your name in the name box and then type a space.
- Designer 1: Type your name in the name box and then type enter.
- Designer 2: Insert a square that covers the whole canvas and change the color of the square.
- Designer 1: Add a new shape on top of the square background on the canvas and change the color of the shape.
- Designer 2: Add a textbox to the picture anyway you want and Type in O - l - y - m - p - i - c - s - 2 - 0 - 2 - 2
- Designer 1: Insert a picture. Click on the image, then click on search the web. Type in sports. When you find the picture you like click on it and then the button that says insert.
- Designer 2: Click on the share button. In the box, type in these letters - A - p - r - i - l - . - s - m - i - t - h - Now stop.
- Both Designer 1 & Designer 2: In the box below where you typed, look for the one that ends in org.
- Designer 1: needs to click it when you find it.
- Designer 2: needs to raise your hand when you have it so I can check it.
3rd - 5th Grade Classes
One of you will design the logo and the other will design the game tickets. Use the slideshow pictures from the Kids Design Website to give you ideas. Make sure you include the following:
- Name your Google Drawing doc - your first and last name.
- Insert a square to color the whole canvas.
- Change the color of the square.
- Add other shapes (at least one).
- Change the color of the shapes.
- Add a border line to the shape.
- Insert a picture.
- Add a textbox and type in the textbox.
- Make sure it is obvious whether it is a logo or ticket.
- Share the drawing with me.
HOW DO GRAPHIC DESIGNERS MAKE MONEY?
Now it is time to judge your work. We will look at each design. If it met the requirements then you will be in the final event for judging.
Graphic designers usually work for a firm and companies hire the firm to create designs for them and then pay them for it.
- Let's determine if you'd get the job.
- If the team met the requirement, write a 1 beside it.
- If they did not, write a 0.
- If the group got a 0 on any requirement, their design will be taken out of the running.
- At the end, any groups that made all of the requirements will be voted on by the class to be the final winner of the project.
Now, student team will get (5) $100 bills in fake money. Let’s pretend everyone was part of the winning firm. They paid you $500. It cost you $100 to make the design because you had to buy ink and paper and pay yourselves. You can’t count this money in what you made on the design because you will have to go and buy more supplies to replace the ones you used in this design. If I take away the amount of money that it cost to make my design from the amount they paid me, I get my profit. The profit is the real amount of money I made because I have to account for the money it took to make what they asked for. So if it cost you $100 to make the design and they paid you $500, what was your profit, or the real amount of money that you made?