BUILDING A GOVERNMENT SYSTEM
LESSON 4: I AM A CYBERSECURITY SPECIALIST
THE LESSON MISSION
Encryption is the process of scrambling or changing a message to make it secret using a cipher. It can only be opened with a private key. Only the person intended to get the information has the private key. Let's watch the video below so that you understand how encryption works. The video uses several words that you might not be familiar with. They are defined under the tool box to your right.
You Are A Rebellion Cybersecurity Specialist!
Now you are going to apply what you have learned to a Star Wars Live Action Role Play Game. In this LARP game, you are a cybersecurity specialist for the Rebellion. Rebellion spies have intercepted top secret Imperial messages from the Death Star to Darth Vader's compound on Mustafar. The messages are encrypted. You must decode the messages quickly so that the Rebellion can use the information against the Empire in the war. Each planet will receive an envelope. Inside is the encrypted message. Work with your partner to decode the message. Write the decoded message in the space underneath the encrypted message. Use the websites below to give you ideas for how to decode the message. When you believe you have decoded the message, bring your answer to me. If it is correct, I will give you a second message that is encrypted in a different way. You will follow the same process to decode the message. The first team to decode three encrypted imperial messages, wins the Star Wars Encryption LARP Game!
Original Lesson by April Smith
Constructed to meet:
Constructed to meet:
- Alabama Digital Learning and Computer Science Citizen of a Digital Culture - Safety, Privacy, and Security Standard 9 - Explain the proper use and operation of security technologies.
- Alabama Digital Learning and Computer Science Computing Analyst - Systems Standard 24 - Describe the need for authentication of users and devices as it relates to access permissions, privacy, and security.
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association Standards for Technology and Engineering Literacy 4F - Describe the helpful and harmful effects of technology.
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association Standards for Technology and Engineering Literacy 5D - Determine factors that influence changes in a society’s technological systems or infrastructure.
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association Standards for Technology and Engineering Literacy 5F - Analyze how an invention or innovation was influenced by its historical context.